What is the cylinder liner engine block - description, features and recommendations
No matter how reliable internal combustion engines may be, sooner or later their resource comes to an end. This is especially true for the internal combustion engine of old VAZ cars. Gilzovka cylinder block - one of the frequent operations, which is performed during the overhaul of the engine. What is the essence of this technology, what does it give and how is it done? Read about all this later in our article.
It is an integral component of any internal combustion engine with a cast iron or aluminum block. The sleeve is a removable sleeve that is installed in the cylinder block. It serves as the walls in which the piston moves.The dimensions of the liner determine the working volume of the cylinder and the combustion chamber. The process of installing this sleeve in the unit is called sleeve. The operation is performed after thorough preparation, using special equipment.
There are several types of sleeves:
The first is installed in the engine block, which has no contact with the coolant.Wet sleeves on one side come into contact with antifreeze. Such elements are equipped with special gaskets that prevent leakage of fluid from the cooling system and its penetration into the cylinder. Also, this compactor prevents the breakthrough of exhaust gases in the SOD.
The basic requirements for liners:
- Resistance to mechanical stress and shock.
- Resistance to temperature extremes.
- Corrosion protection.
When selecting these elements, pay attention to the thickness of the walls of the cylinders, their ellipsity and taper. The tolerances for liner boring after its installation into the engine are taken into account.
Characteristics of the work
What is this operation? Gilzovka cylinder block - is a set of works in the overhaul, which involves the elimination of defects of the internal combustion engine that formed during its operation. Another similar type of work - cylinder bore.The operation allows you to restore the necessary parameters of the gaps relative to the walls of the cylinder by removing a certain layer of metal. Boring is made to a certain repair size.
When does it apply?
Gilzovka cylinder block is used in cases where the depth of the defects of the walls does not allow for boring. That is, the damage is so great that they cannot be adjusted to the latest repair size. Some engines are not originally designed to install repair-size pistons. In this case, the block is restored by gilzovki.
Why are badassies coming?
There are several reasons for this phenomenon:
- Natural wear. In this case, teasers occur no earlier than 200 thousand kilometers. There are cases when defects were absent after 500 or more thousand kilometers.
- Late oil change or driving low. As a result, the elasticity of the film is lost and the engine runs dry. Rings rub against the surface of the wall, forming a teaser. Experts recommend changing the oil every 10 thousand kilometers.
- Violation of the temperature mode of the engine. This can provoke not only scratches on the walls of the cylinders, but also defects in the cylinder head.
- Penetration into the chamber of foreign objects. It may be dust from a dirty air filter.Sometimes - metal chips from a clogged oil filter. To prevent this, change these consumables times for 10 thousand kilometers.
- Use fuel with inappropriate octane rating. May cause detonation, scuffing and burnout of valves.
The procedure for replacing wet sleeves is much easier than dry ones. It is not necessary to change all the elements. It is enough to replace only one damaged liner. The number of worn-out sleeves and their condition is determined by the caliper.
As for the type of material, there are some differences. So, gilzovka cast iron cylinder block sleeves made of alloyed cast iron. But gradually manufacturers are switching to aluminum blocks. A vivid example of this is the "Volkswagen" and "Skoda". Gilzovka aluminum cylinder block is made bushings based on this metal with the addition of additional components. This allows you to create a sustainable coating on the walls.Before pressing the sleeves in both cases, perform a cylinder bore. In the course of this operation, the master creates the correct geometry of the seat for the liner. In the case of the slightest deviations, the formation of an ellipse is possible.Because of this, scoring, oil burns and low compression can occur on a newly repaired engine.
Next, go to the cylinder liner. The operation is performed "on hot", in several stages. First, the cylinder block is heated to a temperature of 150-160 degrees Celsius. Then take a sleeve and cool it. The element is treated in liquid nitrogen at a temperature of -195 degrees. In the next step, the sleeve is covered with a special tool that will not allow condensation to form on the walls. After that, the cooled sleeve is placed in a hot block. Due to the temperature difference, the sleeve ideally fits into its seat.
This cylinder liner method is the fastest and optimal in quality. As a result of the work, it is possible to achieve a high planting density and the necessary tightness at the point of contact between the sleeve and the block.
The above method involves the preliminary boring of the block. But there are blocks (this applies to aluminum), which are not boring before installing sleeves. What do they do in this case? Gilzovka cylinder block is accompanied by the application of sealant in the landing slot.Next, the sleeve is pressed on a special machine. The temperature of the liner and block are the same. High-quality gilzovka allows you to operate the engine for 150 thousand kilometers, subject to timely replacement of oil.
How much is?
Price cylinder liner may vary significantly. Typically, this cost includes work on the boring with honing cylinders. So, for a VAZ car, the whole set of works costs 5,300 rubles without taking into account the sleeves themselves.Gilzovka DVA UAZ - 6 thousand 500 rubles. For Gazelles with ZMZ engines, this service amounts to 4,300 rubles. For Cummins engines - 2 thousand cheaper. As for foreign cars, the cost of the cast iron block sleeve (without boring and honing) is 2 300 rubles per cylinder. The same work, but with an aluminum block at 200 rubles more.
Where is cylinder liner made? St. Petersburg and Moscow are not the only cities in which this service is offered. Find a good master gilzovka possible in much smaller settlements.
Earlier we mentioned such a procedure as honing. This operation is designed to reduce the roughness of the cylinder walls.Thanks to honing, the running-in of piston rings is improved and the service life of the repaired engine is increased.This process is carried out in several stages:
- Cylinder roughing. In this case, the master uses a large abrasive.
- Finishing. During the operation, fine-grained abrasive is used, which makes it possible to obtain high precision processing. Ceramic or diamond bars are used as an abrasive. The latter are highly reliable and durable. Therefore, the processing of ceramic bars in the past.
- Wash the engine. During this stage, residues of polishing paste and metal chips are removed. Will the metal rust? All elements of the internal combustion engine are made of highly resistant to corrosion alloys.
- Finishing cleaning. It is not used by all masters, but it allows you to remove old cavities and corners that were formed in the process of honing. This achieves a high smooth surface of the cylinders.
So, we found out what is the sleeve of the engine block and what technology it is made of. Block boring is not mandatory.But thanks to it, you can perfectly fit the sleeve in size. Therefore, many masters carry out boring, honing and gilzovka in the complex.