We return life to scissors: ways to quickly and safely sharpen scissors
Many people prefer to throw away scissors that have already become dull. But it is better to learn how to sharpen scissors, and thereby significantly save on their purchase.
After all, now on the shelves of the store you can buy only modern Chinese unreliable fakes.
It is easy to sharpen stationery and scissors for cutting. Much more difficult to sharpen a manicure set. Before you sharpen them, you need to make sure that the fault is associated with dulling.
It is quite possible that they simply weakened the axis of attachment, where a bolt or a simple rivet is mainly used. It is enough to tighten the bolt.
If the screw is tightly tightened, and the scissors still do not cut well, then sharpen the heel stop, which is located near the hole with the bolt.
Do not try to close the blades, so you will exacerbate the situation.
If a rivet is used at the joint, squeeze it. But before that, open the scissors and put it on any metal object.
Then, using the beard, flatten the rivet and check how well the blades fit.
If after the done actions, nothing has changed, then you will need to sharpen scissors at home.
In order to sharpen scissors, you need to use a grinding stone. It can be purchased at many hardware stores.
Most variants of stones have two different sides, one of which is fine-grained, and the other is coarse. First you need to use the rough side.
How to sharpen scissors yourself?The algorithm includes several steps.
- Place the grindstone on a cloth and slightly moisten with water.
- If a bolt is used as an attachment to the scissors, then disassemble them. If rivet is used, open the blades as wide as possible.
- Ensure that the inclination of the factory grind is observed. Do not change it. It is required to lay the blade in such a way that its plane is inclined from itself.
- Ensure that the chamfer is parallel to the surface of the bar.
- Sharpen the scissors correctly, drive the blades slowly over their entire length and only in one direction.
- As soon as you ground them on the rough side of the stone, proceed to sharpen the other side. Repeat the same steps.
When finished with sharpening, check the scissors on a piece of cloth. If they are well sharpened, then without any problems they will exactly cut the material by weight.
Sharpening nail scissors: how to properly
To sharpen nail scissors correctly, you need to use a small bar that has a fine grain.
Prefer give grinding stones with diamond grit.
Nail scissors can be sharpened in the same way as simple ones. But this should be done as carefully as possible.
This is especially true of sharpening the inclination of the cutting chamfer, as it differs from others.
If you have blunt nail scissors with curved blades, it is easier to buy new ones.
The only thing that can be corrected in them is a bolt.
How to sharpen garden shears
To sharpen garden shears yourself, you need to disassemble them.
- To get started, unwind them.This is required for sharpening the blades along the entire length.
- To sharpen the bottom concave bladeuse whetstoneradius of not more than 3.5 cm.
All other actions are similar to those described above.
In order not to waste time on the analysis and turning of the presented tool, you can use the following methods.
- Sandpaper.Find a small piece of this material, fold it in half, and the rubbing side should look up. Start cutting the paper, about 15 lines. In the same way you can use abrasive material on fabric, cotton wool from metal.
- Aluminium foil.Take a sheet up to 25 cm in size and fold it several times. Then start cutting it.
- Glass jar or bottle.If you want to sharpen small scissors, you can use the bottle throat. Place open scissors in the bottle's throat and start gently connecting the rings.
- Cutting a sewing needle.It will help sharpen nail scissors.
How to use the tool
In order for the presented instrument to maintain its sharpness for a long time, it is necessary to adhere tosome recommendations.
- If you use scissors for cutting fabric, then use the tool only for this purpose.Then they do not need to cut fish, cardboard and other items.
- Other scissors are used for cutting zippers and metal threads.
- If you use them when cooking, to care for plants and nails, then disinfect them regularly.
The main thing - do not boil scissors, and handle a simple antiseptic. Otherwise they will quickly become dull and rust. Do not forget to grease them every six months.