How to replace eggs in baking?
Regular chicken egg is one of the main components in the preparation of any baking. Some people consider it indispensable in the preparation of flour dishes. But is it? What can replace eggs? This is what we will try to find out.
Each person had cases when it is urgently necessary to prepare a flour dish. Suddenly, guests arrived, I wanted to pamper my family with delicious foods, or started preparing a meal late in the evening. And at this very moment there are no eggs at hand. Some immediately give up, giving up. Others completely exclude egg from the recipe. But it is quite possible to replace it with other ingredients, and in such a way that the dish will acquire the properties it provides. But before considering the list of substitutes, it should be clarified exactly what properties the dish acquires due to the egg.
What properties does an egg give to a dish?
Thanks to the egg, the following properties are given to the dish:
- It combines the remaining ingredients, makes the dish more solid, whether it be dough, potato pancakes or meatballs.
- During heat treatment, a thickening reaction occurs due to the egg.
- Is a natural natural baking powder.
- It gives the dish a golden color and a peculiar taste.
Accordingly, what can replace eggs, should be selected individually for each recipe. After all, this product is added to each dish to give it a certain property. It is useful to immediately sort the substitutes by properties.
Substitutes with bonding qualities
What to replace the egg in the test? There are the following substitutes of this product with binding properties:
- First of all, chopped flaxseed mixed in hot water in the ratio of 1 tablespoon of flax to 2 tablespoons of water (boiling water) is used for a bunch of ingredients.
- Also a very good binding properties is a mixture of potato starch with sour cream and water (all ingredients 1 tablespoon). In the absence of sour cream, it is possible to replace it with vegetable oil.
- If you add a bit of banana puree to the dish, in the end it will be almost imperceptible. Banana puree is one of the common substitutes, especially for people who cannot eat eggs due to illness or allergies.
- Strongly boiled oatmeal also has the tackiness needed to combine the ingredients.
Products that can be used as baking powder
What can replace the egg in baking? The following ingredients act as substitutes with disintegrating properties:
- Traditional folk baking powder is baking soda (1 teaspoon), hydrated vinegar (1 teaspoon).
- Half a teaspoon of dry yeast will bring the dish to the required degree of pomp. The main feature is to start cooking immediately after adding them.
- The replacement can be whipped in water (2 tablespoons) soy flour (2 tablespoons).
When used in the recipe of this product, it is recommended to add hydrated soda to improve the reaction.
Ingredients that promote brewing
What else to replace the eggs? The first substitute with thickening properties is starch (preferably potato, in the absence of a fit and corn). It should be diluted in a ratio of 50 g of potato starch or 100 g of corn per 1 liter of cold water.
Another replacement for brewing properties is wheat flour (3 tbsp.spoons), fried in vegetable or butter (3 tbsp. spoons) until golden brown.
Replacing egg auxiliary properties
If in cooking a dish is used boiled (for example, in okroshka or salads), it can be replaced with some varieties of cheese. For example, Adyghe or tofu (in this case it is also desirable to add Himalayan or Indian salt).
To make the baking golden color for the brush you should use the spice turmeric.
Also, warm milk or a mixture of butter, sour cream and flour will be suitable as a means for glazing any baking.
What to replace the egg while preparing the dough?
People who have never been interested in this topic will be surprised by the number of products that can replace eggs in cooking.
Ingredients listed below may replace 1 chicken egg. Otherwise, you should review the recipe or abandon it altogether.
So, what can replace an egg in a dough?
- Perhaps, egg powder comes to mind as the first substitute. Powder can be used wherever eggs are needed.
- Some people claim that chicken eggs can be replaced with quail.Although the density of quail yolk and protein is slightly higher, the replacement ratio is usually advised - 2 quail instead of 1 chicken.
- Eggs can be replaced with 2 tablespoons of corn or potato starch. And the taste and quality of the test will not be affected by the replacement.
- For 2 tablespoons of milk, add 1⁄2 tablespoons of soda and 1⁄2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
- In extreme cases, it is possible to use a mixture of baking powder (2 teaspoons), sunflower oil (1 tablespoon) and water (2 tablespoons). In the absence of sunflower oil, any vegetable is used.
- Sometimes a mixture of powdered milk (1 tbsp), corn starch (1 tbsp) and water (2 tbsp) is used as a substitute.
- A fairly common substitute for eggs are flax seeds. The crushed seeds are added to the dough from the ratio of 1 tablespoon of seeds to 2 tablespoons of boiling water or hot water. Flax is not suitable for dough intended for cooking dishes that are fried in a pan: pancakes, fritters, cheesecakes. Flax makes the dough stick to the pan and burn.
- There is also a fairly well-known substitute for industrial production. It is called Ener G and consists of tapioca flour, potato starch and baking powder.For cooking, beat 1.5 tsp of the mixture in 2 tbsp. spoons of warm water to foam. After that, immediately add the mixture to the dough. Use this substitute or turn to more natural ingredients - everyone decides for himself.
Replacing eggs in pancake dough
Cooking pancakes is pleasant for everyone when they are light, airy and rosy. In part, they turn out that way thanks to the egg. Therefore, not every substitute is suitable in the preparation of pancakes. Some of them can not only complicate the cooking process, but also spoil the dough at all.
But all the same than to replace eggs in pancakes? You can put in the dough:
- Oatmeal soaked in water. With them, pancakes get even more tender and healthy.
- Kefir, ryazhenka or cream. Cream before adding should be whipped.
- Not too cool black tea with sugar. Pancakes will be the same color as if an egg was present in the dough.
- It is also possible to add starch to the pancake batter. Again, this should be done with care so that it does not accidentally spoil the dough all at once.
Suitable egg substitutes in the preparation of cheesecakes
Initially, there were no eggs in the traditional recipe for cheesecakes. A little later, there were recipes in which cheesecakes were prepared with the addition of chicken eggs.Now most people use them to make cheesecakes. This is done for taste, a beautiful golden color, satiety and the dough is not too dry.
And how to replace the egg in cheesecakes? The following products will be able to do this:
- Dairy products, such as sour cream, ryazhenka, yogurt, whey.
- Also a good substitute for eggs in the preparation of cheesecakes is butter or vegetable oil. It is recommended to melt the butter before adding to the dough, preferably on a steam bath.
- Fruit puree is one of the most popular substitutes. And a variety of fruits will do: strawberries, pears, apples, especially bananas.
- In the dough for cheesecakes at worst, you can add a little boiled water.
Pancake substitute in recipes
Fritters - one of the easiest and fastest dishes. They are great when cooking a more complex dish is simply no time. To make pancakes according to the traditional recipe you need at least one egg. But he may not be at the most inopportune moment. What to replace the eggs in pancakes? The following products are fine as a replacement.Although pancakes are such an unpretentious dish that you can do without them when cooking:
- As a substitute for eggs, pancakes can be made with baker's yeast. They replace the loosening properties.
- Suitable baking powder.
- Slaked soda can also be used as a substitute for fritters. From this, the taste of food will not suffer.
Now it is clear that the egg is not an indispensable component. Sometimes substitutes are much more preferable than chicken eggs. If you apply a certain ingenuity, anyone is able to cook patties, pancakes, cheese cakes, pancakes or another dish, dispensing with chicken eggs. The main thing is not to forget that completely eliminate the eggs from the dish, which is based on them, will not work. But when you know how you can replace eggs, you can improvise, giving the dish a new bright taste and creating your own unique recipes.