How to express breast milk with your hands: technique, methods and rules of feeding
A lot of well-established myths and delusions revolve around breast pumping. Now medical workers do not recommend to get involved in such a procedure, but in some situations a nursing woman cannot do without it.
The most affordable and the most natural technique - pumping by hand. That is why new mothers need to know how to express breast milk with their hands and when it really needs to be done.
When is pumping needed?
Breastfeeding is certainly a natural process, so the composition of the milk secretion and its volume adapts to the needs of a specific newborn.
If a woman constantly applies a baby to her breast (especially at night with the maximum release of the hormone prolactin), the glands are emptied.But in certain cases, expressing milk will help to normalize the woman’s well-being.
Before straightening breasts, mothers need to think whether she really needs this procedure. HBG experts are skeptical about the necessity of artificial stimulation of the mammary glands, considering the following reasons to be far-fetched.
- Breast opening after childbirth.If the newborn was born healthy, not excommunicated from the mother, the woman herself does not accept drugs prohibited for HBG, such a procedure is not necessary at all. Infants on their own will begin to stimulate lactogenesis, which is much more pleasant than decanting by hand.
- Redundancy and lack of milk.With an excess of thoracic secretion, frequent and complete decanting only increases the fullness of the mammary glands. I mean, the mother will have to repeat this procedure again and again. With a shortage of product, lactation should be adjusted through proper attachment and feeding on demand, in the first place.
- Drinking after each feeding.A few decades ago, such a recommendation was mandatory for implementation, since there was an approved feeding regime for the newborn.The rules prescribed to feed the baby 6 times a day and apply only to one breast per feeding. Such rare stimulation is fraught with inflammation of the mammary glands and cessation of lactation; therefore, pumping out partly eliminates these problems.
Cases in which it is permissible to express milk are not numerous, but every newly made parent should be aware of them. This will eliminate unnecessary procedures and help you make the right choice.
- Birth of a child before term.In the premature newborn, the sucking reflex is not always present, but it turns out to use and absorb the mother's milk. Such a baby needs this most useful product most of all, containing the components necessary for its development. A woman can decant the milk and solder the baby with a spoon, a syringe without a needle or a pipette.
- CNS disease. In newborns with perinatal encephalopathy, a weak sucking reflex is noted. In this situation, there is no need to stop breastfeeding. The woman again decores the mammary glands and uses the above mentioned devices.
- Lack of milk.If a woman fails to get a volume of milk secretion necessary for a child after adjusting for natural feeding, she will still have to use additional stimulation to improve lactation.
- Excessive filling of the breast.After the establishment of feeding is often observed overflow of the mammary glands. In this case, it is allowed to gently express the milk, so that at the end of the procedure there is comfort. It is important not to overdo it, otherwise injury to the chest or the development of hyperlactation is possible.
- Lactostasis.With the stagnation of milk in the breast form a kind of "tube", characteristic of lactostasis. In order to prevent this trouble and to prevent the development of mastitis, with stagnation, you need to massage the glands, decant the excess milk.
- Disease women.If the mother has developed infectious mastitis or she takes medical supplies that are incompatible with natural feeding, you need to regularly express by hand and dispose of the milk secretion.
- Separation from the mother.A nursing mother may not always be close to a newborn baby, but this problem does not mean that it is necessary to interrupt natural feeding.A woman decanting milk in the morning and evening, or creates a supply of food, if you have to drive off for a couple of weeks.
In other situations, it is not necessary to express milk during natural feeding. If the child eats well, is not hungry, develops normally, the mother feels normal, extra procedures will only harm.
Preparation of dairy glands
Two main hormones are responsible for the formation and secretion of milk secretion. It is on their “work” that the course of lactogenesis depends, the feeding of a woman or the abundant drinking practically does not participate in lactation.
- Oxytocin.This hormonal substance provokes the influx of milk under the action of certain "stimuli". For example, oxytocin is activated when the newborn is attached to the breast, the smell of the native baby is felt, and the glands are stimulated. If oxytocin is excreted, the milk pours on its own, without requiring any effort.
- Prolactin.Such a hormonal substance is intended to control the volume of milk secretion. It "counts" the amount of milk taken from the breast and returns the same volume. Due to this, the breast during lactation is almost never emptied.
Breast opening will be effective if these hormones take effect. To "turn them on" and cause the flow of milk to the glands, it is necessary to carry out preliminary training.
It may include the following activities:
- attaching to the chest towels soaked in warm water beforehand, or getting up under the jet of a non-hot shower;
- drinking warm weak tea or any other liquid (it is important that the drink is heated);
- light and gentle massaging of the mammary glands;
- stimulating the tide of milk, for example, by tilting down.
When performing these activities, the mother should think about the beloved newborn baby. The ideal option is to sit next to the baby in order to feel better.
Marmet and other pumping methods
How to disintegrate after childbirth and “get” the milk with your own hands? To simplify the process of pumping, experts on GW offer several methods, each of which has its own characteristics.
It is specially designed for nursing moms. Since this procedure is not entirely natural for the female breast, it is necessary to carefully examine all the details of the process and follow the next steps.
- Sit back in an easy chair, express milk better in a sitting position. The back should be straight, it is not necessary to bend, so that the muscles do not numb.
- The container before the procedure must be sterilized (if the milk will then be used) and placed at chest level, holding it with your left hand.
- The thumb of the other hand is placed on the upper part of the periphery, where the border between the areola and the white skin is located (the nipple is at the bottom). The index finger is located opposite the large one, and together they form the letter “C”. The rest must support the breast.
- The fingers gently press on the chest, then they are reduced by a ring, squeezing the areola. As soon as the milk appears, the fingers relax, then the action repeats.
- To decant all parts of the mammary gland, the fingers must be successively moved around the circumference of the areola. Such actions are especially relevant in case of milk stagnation.
Warm bottle method
This method is used if the nipple is in a tense state, and the mammary glands are inflamed. In such situations, it is extremely difficult to get milk, and it is impossible to attach the baby.
To express the milk with the hands or to relax the breast to the extent that the child can take the nipple in the mouth, a bottle is used. This container with a neck width of at least 4 centimeters should be heated with boiling water, and the upper part cooled.
Then the periphery region must be lubricated with petroleum jelly and attach capacity to it. The papilla begins to draw into the bottle, and the milk begins to flow out. As soon as the jets become weak, the bottle is removed.
The method of squeezing the nipple
If the nipples begin to coarse, and when they are pressed, pain is felt, a special method is needed, which involves the primary release of milk.
To implement this method, it is necessary to place all the fingers right on the nipple and press on it for three or four minutes. Such actions soften the mammary gland and make the process of pumping less painful.
Sagging breast milk will be effective and painless only if you carry out all the steps correctly. The following errors are possible during the procedure.
- Making a significant effort.A nursing mom should perform all actions very carefully and gently. When using the wrong technique, decanting is accompanied by pain and discomfort.
- Stimulation of the nipples.Milk secretion is not in them, so squeezing the nipples is useless. The product is located in the milky ducts of the chest, so you need to press on the periphery region. Exception - pressing on hardened nipples.
- The slope of the torso.The whole procedure is carried out only in a relaxed position. If the newly-made parent is decanting, bending forward, the back will surely leak.
- Careless actions.Do not squeeze your fingers over your chest, do not rub or knead with intensive movements of the gland. Too much pressure injures tissues, leads to inflammatory processes and lactostasis. Perhaps you should learn how to properly massage the breast.
- Extrusion of large volumes.Focus on the purpose of pumping.If the task is to make a supply of milk, the procedure is longer and more productive. If, however, it is simply necessary to prevent stagnation or decant some excess milk secretion, the time of extrusion and the volume of the product is reduced.
Experts in GV refer to the erroneous actions and the refusal to dissipate, if during the very first procedure the woman felt pain or did not receive milk. It is necessary to try - choose the right time, the best posture and favorable mood. In this case, the return of the white product does not take long.
Rules for the storage and use of milk
Before decanting milk secrets, women should understand how to properly store and use them. This will help the recommendations of specialists in breastfeeding infants.
- Choose the perfect dish. Most often used special plastic bottles that are easy to clean, dry and impossible to break. However, many of these containers are dangerous for babies. When warming up, they can release toxic bisphenol-a, which accumulates in organs and causes pathologies of the nervous and urinary systems.A woman is better to opt for glass containers or plastic bottles that do not contain hazardous chemicals.
- If the containers are reusable, they must be sterilized in order to prevent the entry of harmful bacteria into the children's intestines. Another option is to purchase special disposable plastic packaging that is ready for use.
- The strained product can be immediately offered to the child. Shelf life depends on temperature. At home, milk is stored unchanged for up to two to three hours. In the refrigerator compartment, you can leave it for a week, and in the freezer for six months.
- If the milk was subjected to freezing or cooling, it is heated before use with a water bath or under a stream of water. Capacity is regularly shaken to the heated product is distributed as evenly as possible. The ideal temperature is when the milk is not felt on the skin.
Manual milk decantation is a procedure that can be mastered only after some time. If a nursing woman doesn’t manage to set down her breasts, you should consult a doctor or an expert on natural feeding for advice. And although experts recommend not to get involved in such a procedure, pumping will allow the mother to stock up on a useful product and maximize breastfeeding.