Grade 3 adenoids in children: treatment
Should I remove adenoids baby? Grade 3 pathological process, as it seems to many, is subject exclusively to surgical intervention. After all, this is the last stage of the disease. Therefore, many believe that without surgical intervention is not enough. Is it really? We will try to consider this question in today's article from different angles.
Description of the pathology and its causes
Adenoids are a bacterial disease common among children. It is characterized by the growth of the nasopharyngeal tonsil, difficulty breathing and a number of other unpleasant symptoms. In most cases, diagnosed in children 7-8 years.
The disease is characterized by a slow course and a tendency to disguise as colds. Therefore, parents are often too late to seek help from a doctor, trying to cope with symptoms at home. It is not possible to determine the adenoids with the naked eye. Only a specialist can identify the problem and prescribe proper treatment.
The main reason for the active growth of the nasopharyngeal tonsil are inflammatory processes.The increase in their intensity is observed after registration of the child in kindergarten, when he begins to actively communicate with his peers. Frequent and prolonged diseases of the nasopharynx provoke a weakening of the immune system. Tonsils cease to cope with the load placed on them, which leads to their increase.
Among other factors predisposing to the disease, pediatricians call:
- genetic predisposition;
- intrauterine infections;
- lymphatic-hypoplastic diathesis;
- congenital anomalies in the structure of the nasopharynx;
- pathology of pregnancy and childbirth;
- tendency to allergic reactions in a child.
Adenoid growths are a constant source of infection. It can spread to the bronchi, nasal sinuses and pharynx.
Three degrees of severity
Depending on the severity of the pathological process, it is customary to distinguish three degrees of its development. Let us consider in more detail what symptoms each of them is characterized by.
- First degree At the beginning of the disease, there is a slight proliferation of adenoids, which cover only a quarter of the lumen of the nasal passages. The child may experience slight discomfort when breathing.Usually it is enhanced at night.
- Second degree The pathological process is gradually spreading to all new areas, closing the lumen of the nasal passages for more than half. During sleep, the baby can snore, and during the day it is just difficult for him to breathe.
- Third degree Adenoids completely overlap the respiratory lumen. The baby is constantly breathing with his mouth, his voice may change.
Especially dangerous adenoids 3 degrees in children. Why? The pathological process develops very quickly. In just a few months, growths reach large sizes. With a late visit to a doctor, conservative medicine, as a rule, is powerless.
It is advisable to elaborate on the last stage of the disease. It is with her that negligent parents, who each time postponed a visit to a pediatrician with a child, have to face. What symptoms are accompanied by grade 3 adenoids in children, how to competently influence the ailment and identify it in a timely manner - the answers to these questions will be presented below.
In grade 3 adenoids, all symptoms can be divided into local and general.Due to the almost complete overlap of the nasal passages in a small patient the respiratory function is impaired. Now he breathes through his mouth, not through his nose. As a result, the voice timbre changes, at night snoring appears. Further development of the pathological process often leads to asthma attacks. A group of local symptoms also includes hearing loss.
Common manifestations of the disease are considered a consequence of chronic hypoxia. An insufficient amount of oxygen is supplied to the nervous tissue, which is accompanied by a decrease in its functional activity. Therefore, the child's concentration deteriorates, and mood swings may occur. The overall clinical picture is often supplemented by a violation of the physiological sleep cycle.
Recommended Medical Examination
If adenoids of grade 3 are suspected in children (the photo of the pathology is presented in our article) it is necessary to seek help from an otolaryngologist. It is this specialist who is engaged in the prevention and treatment of such an unpleasant disease. Diagnosis includes a patient survey, a study of its history, a physical examination and a number of instrumental studies.Based on its results, the issue of the volume of therapeutic intervention is being addressed.
For inspection, a small guttural mirror is used. With its help, the rear rhinoscopy. The doctor gently inserts a mirror between the soft palate and the back wall of the pharynx. Turning it, the specialist gets the opportunity to examine in detail all the departments of the nasopharynx. Unfortunately, such a procedure is not used to examine very young children.
The instrumental diagnostic methods include X-ray, CT and endoscopy. These methods allow us to determine the size of growths and the severity of the pathological process.
Do 3th degree adenoids be removed from a child?
This is the question that appears to parents after visiting a pediatric otolaryngologist. Opinions of doctors are radically different.
Previously, an adenoid of 3 degrees in a child's treatment meant only surgical. However, before this stage the pathological process rarely developed. Sprouts were removed much earlier and immediately after detection. Many experts today insist on adenotomy - surgery to excise hypertrophied tissue. However, such intervention is not always justified.Do not forget about possible contraindications, because the children's body is subjected to a serious procedure.
Initially, it should clarify all the nuances, try conservative methods of influencing the problem. If such treatment is ineffective, the only correct solution would be an adenotomy.
The need for conservative therapy
As medical statistics show, medication with physiotherapy sometimes helps to overcome adenoids 3 degrees in children. Despite the low efficiency of such activities when the pathological process is neglected, they should not be neglected.
Therapy in this case is divided into local and general. Consider what constitutes each of the options.
Local treatment implies:
- The use of vasoconstrictor and therapeutic drops. "Galazolin", "Naphthyzinum" and "Sanorin" are characterized by an excellent therapeutic effect. However, these drugs can not be used for more than 5 days, because they are addictive. The components contained in them have a negative effect on the vessels. Among the therapeutic drops, Sialor and Pinosol deserve special attention.
- Flushing nasal passages. Grade 3 adenoids in children are always accompanied by congestion. To get rid of such an unpleasant symptom, you can cleanse your nose of mucus at home. To do this, the child’s head should be tilted forward. Tip syringe with "Furatsilinom" to enter into the nasal passage, gently pressing on the pear. Such procedures are recommended to be repeated up to 4 times a day for two weeks.
- Physiotherapy effects (UV radiation, laser therapy, electrophoresis).
What else do otolaryngologists offer for treatment of grade 3 adenoids in children? The reviews of many experts confirm that without general therapy, the fight against pathology cannot be considered complete. Such treatment includes taking antihistamines for removing puffiness and immunostimulants (Immunal, Bronchomunal). The latter contribute to the development of antibodies to common infectious agents in the upper respiratory tract. If the disease is accompanied by the release of purulent secretions from the nasal cavities, and the temperature only rises, antibiotics also cannot be dispensed with.
Many babies surgery is absolutely contraindicated. Just above the main cases have already been listed. If a child has adenoids of grade 3, what should parents do in this case?
Some pediatricians offer, along with conservative methods of influencing ailment, to resort to the help of traditional medicine. There are many recipes, you only need to correctly pick up the drug. And a qualified specialist can help in this matter. Without his prior consultation is not worth self-treatment.
Among the most effective recipes are:
- Drops on the basis of aloe juice. For the preparation of this tool, you must squeeze the liquid from the fleshy leaves. It is better to choose those that are closer to the ground. Such drops should be used daily for two weeks. After that, you need to take a break for 7 days and you can continue therapy.
- Many pediatricians recommend treating adenoids in the nose with ordinary cloves (grade 3). In children, the aroma of this plant does not cause discomfort. About 10 pieces of inflorescences need to be poured with a glass of boiling water, let it brew. The solution should darken slightly.It can be used as nasal drops.
- Washing with grass collection. It will be necessary to mix in equal proportions a train, oregano, and a coltsfoot. A tablespoon of the mixture must be poured 500 ml of boiling water. In the resulting broth, you can add a few drops of oil of fir or thuja. This tool is recommended for washing the nasopharynx.
Treatment of adenoid growths with folk remedies often gives a positive result. Be sure to correctly select recipes and perform procedures regularly. Many refuse treatment after feeling better. However, this approach is wrong. As a rule, the standard course of therapy is up to 4 weeks.
Indications and contraindications for surgery
The long course of the pathological process always negatively affects the mental and physical state of the child. His well-being is easy enough to present to any adult. It is only necessary to recall the last attack of rhinitis, which was accompanied by constant nasal congestion, lethargy and pain in the ears.
After confirming the diagnosis of "adenoid grade 3" in a child, surgical treatment is prescribed in the following conditions:
- the lack of a stable effect from the conservative therapy;
- progressive hearing loss;
- the formation of health-threatening complications (pathologies of the kidneys, heart, eyes, or vascular changes).
These are absolute indications for surgery. In any case, the question of the need for surgery is considered carefully and only after a comprehensive examination of the child’s body.
If the otolaryngologist immediately proposes to move to radical measures, parents should consult other specialists. Not in each case it is permissible to immediately dissect overgrown tissue. Adenoids 3 degrees in children is not recommended to be removed when:
- bleeding disorders;
- pronounced allergic reactions;
- severe somatic ailments (diabetes, bronchial asthma, oncology);
- congenital anomalies of soft / hard palate.
The number of temporary contraindications include ARVI, acute respiratory infections and various intestinal infections. About a month after the child recovers, he can be operated on.
Technique of surgery
Removal of adenoids 3 degrees in children is carried out in a hospital. The operation is performed under general anesthesia and always with the use of an endoscope.This device allows the doctor not only to control the amount of correction, but also quickly excise inflamed tissue, stop bleeding. Intervention takes no more than 20 minutes. During the day the child returns home, provided there are no complications.
Recovery from surgery is usually calm. During the day, the temperature may rise to 38 degrees. To combat the ailment, doctors are allowed to take antipyretic drugs, but they should not be aspirin. The fact is that this substance lowers blood clotting. In some children, the postoperative period is accompanied by abnormal stool and vomiting. Breathing immediately becomes clear and light, but after a few days, nasal congestion and nasal voice appears. There is no reason to worry, since these symptoms are due to minor edema and disappear on their own.
It is strongly recommended to maintain a gentle regimen after the doctor has removed adenoids of grade 3 in a child. Feedback from parents suggests that the entire rehabilitation period is necessary to adhere to a diet.It implies the exclusion from the diet of heavy and fatty foods. All products must undergo heat treatment. In this case, the child is allowed to give only warm food, and rough hot dishes only irritate the mucous membrane.
If untreated, the child may have serious health problems. Among the most common complications of the pathological process should be highlighted:
- Impaired physiological properties of the middle ear. This area is responsible for regulating the pressure difference outside and inside the body. We are talking about the nasal passages and nasopharynx. If the enlarged amygdala overlaps the base of the Eustachian tube, the functioning of the eardrum is impaired.
- Frequent colds.
- Functional malfunction. A child with adenoids cannot fully breathe. Therefore, the capillaries in his body do not receive about 20% oxygen. This necessarily affects its functioning.
- Otitis otitis of varying severity.
Another unpleasant complication is the violation of phonation.Overgrown adenoids alter the growth of facial bones, which is reflected in the ability to correctly pronounce sounds and letters. A sick child begins to have difficulty speaking, often nasal.
Is it possible to prevent the occurrence of such a serious pathology, as adenoids of grade 3 in children? Photos of overgrown nasopharyngeal tonsil tissue are troubling for many parents. Therefore, this problem is relevant.
Pediatricians recommend adhering to the following tips:
- Constantly engage in strengthening the immunity of the child. A detailed program of recreational activities can be asked from the pediatrician’s doctor.
- Daily walk in the fresh air.
- Follow the food crumbs. The diet should be balanced and at the same time diverse.
If the recommendations are followed, the parents will never have a question about how to treat grade 3 adenoids in a child. If the development of pathology still could not be avoided, you should immediately seek qualified medical assistance. Only a doctor can prescribe competent therapy, which will prevent the occurrence of complications in the future.