Grachevsky Park in Khovrino: a recreation area with an unusual history
Grachevsky Park is one of the most interesting green areas in the Moscow Khovrino district of the Northern urban district. This place is known as Khovrino manor, or Grachevka. The main manor house, which is a unique architectural monument, and several farm buildings have survived to this day.
From the XV century to the present day
The first mentions in historical sources of this area are associated with the name of George Safarin, the son of a Sourozh merchant. He owned the estate in the XV century. Locals called Safarin “Howra” behind the eyes - an untidy and untidy person. This popular nickname stuck, and eventually turned into the name of a whole boyar family. It was from her that the village got its name, which eventually turned into a district of the capital.
The manor and the land adjacent to it passed from hand to hand over several centuries. The palace, which has survived to our days, was built under the Count Grachev, who bought the estate in 1895. The main house resembles the famous casino in Monte Carlo.It is noteworthy that Mitrofan Grachev really saw the gambling house of the authorship of Charles Garnier, and perhaps even been in it.
On the territory of Grachevsky Park, a temple was built, built in 1868-1870. The green zone covers an area of about 19 hectares. This territory is conventionally divided into landscape and regular parks. Nowadays, the surroundings of the estate are very popular among residents of the capital, who love to spend time in nature.
Park manor Count Grachev
The history of the park around the manor in Khovrino begins in 1700. At that time these lands belonged to the Golovins family, it was they who ordered to plant linden alleys and an orchard. After half a century, the estate again changes its owner. Millionaire E. Molchanov, who bought him, orders cedars, pines, firs, larches, poplars and shrubs. At the same time, arbours, grottoes, bridges are built in the park, and many flower beds are broken. Landscapes during the construction of a new palace and the last owner of the estate - Count Grachev.
Grachevsky Park in Khovrino, along with the estate was nationalized in 1918. The main house and outbuildings were transferred to the Petrovsky Agricultural Academy.Later, a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients was opened here, and during the Second World War, a hospital was located in Khovrino. For a long time the park and the preserved old buildings were left without proper attention. Restoration of the main palace was begun in the 80s of the last century and continues today. In 2012, improvement of the park area was carried out.
What to see in Grachevsky Park today?
Entrance to the green zone is free. Grachevsky Park is a favorite place for walking residents of nearby neighborhoods. There are paved asphalt paths in the park, there is a dog training ground for walking dogs, children's play and sports campuses. In winter, a ski track is laid here, and in summer, fans of an active lifestyle ride bicycles and roller skates. The main attraction of the park is the manor house. Today the building is occupied by the Moscow Regional Hospital for Rehabilitation. Entrance to the territory only by passes, tourists can only admire the general view of the facades of this architectural masterpiece from behind the fence. During the walk, you can visit the mass grave and see the monument in Grachevsky Park.The memorial to “Soviet soldiers - defenders of Moscow” was opened during the thirtieth anniversary of the Great Victory.
The Church of the Sign of the Mother of God was re-opened to parishioners in 2005. And this is a real miracle, as the temple was very badly damaged in the post-revolutionary years and was turned into a factory.
Today Grachevsky Park is a place for quiet walks and active sports. Suitable recreation area for walking with children. The entertainment infrastructure is almost completely absent, but here you can listen to the birds singing and enjoy the fresh air.
How to get to the estate Khovrino: options for travel by public and private transport
The park around the estate of Count Grachev is located in the Khovrino district. Nearby is the railway station of the same name, where electric commuter trains stop. Residents of the capital will be convenient to get to the recreation area by public ground transportation. The nearest stop is “Hospital - Korolenko Library”. Buses №№ 65, 65k, 188, 284, 857, as well as fixed-route taxi №№ 89m, 600m and 615m stop here. Coming out at this stop, you will immediately see the main entrance to Grachevsky Park.
How to get to this recreation area by car? The exact coordinates for the navigator: 55.866753; 37.507160. The address of the main manor house (today it houses the hospital): Klinskaya Street, 2, p. 1.