Earlobe: structure and disease
The ear is a very important organ of the human body, thanks to which you can hear the sounds of the surrounding nature, the speech of other people. In addition, he manages the coordination of movements, controls the balance. This body is divided into three main parts. The outer ear is the auricle itself, which is a cartilage. On top is a layer of skin. In the lower part is the earlobe. It does not have cartilage or bone. Separated from the middle ear by the eardrum. Thanks to her, the sounds are transmitted further to the middle ear. This effect is achieved through curls. Middle ear - this part follows the outside, filled with air. It has the following departments:
They transfer sounds to the membrane of the oval window. The inner part is a bone labyrinth filled with fluid, located in the temple area. It has two kinds of pouches:
They are responsible for balance. The sounds are recognized by the cochlea, which is also part of this complex construction.
It happens that in this harmonious system may fail.Then various unpleasant phenomena in the ears begin:
- Strong pain.
- Partial or total hearing loss.
- Violation of coordination of movements.
Symptoms that indicate problems with the ears are quite diverse and depend on which department is affected. The most terrible consequences is damage to the inner ear.
Such problems may occur for the following reasons:
- Ingestion of an ear infection (bacterial, viral, fungal).
- Physical impact.
- Oncological diseases.
For injuries, the earlobe, the shell and the ear canal are most often damaged. This may occur for the following reasons:
- Improper ear cleaning.
- Physical impact on the auricle.
If there is an injury, rupture or complete separation of the organ from the body, it is absolutely impossible to wash your ears with water or various drops before the arrival of the medical staff. This procedure can be the beginning of an infection in the inner ear. Most often, with such an injury, surgery is performed, stitches are applied. Even if the ear was completely separated from the body, chances of its engraftment are quite large.The main thing is that before the operation begins, the separated organ should be in a cold place.
The middle and inner ear are usually damaged by:
- Cleaning your ears with sharp objects.
- Foreign objects in the ear.
- Various thermal and physical burns.
- Strong blow to the ear.
- Infection infection.
When such injuries occur, the following symptoms occur:
- Strong pain.
- Partial or total hearing loss.
- Excretion of fluid and pus from the ear canal.
Quite often there are complications in the form of meningitis.
If the damage is minor, they usually heal themselves. Large ruptures require surgery. If there is a foreign object in the ear, it is removed. The eardrum is also subject to recovery through surgery. In parallel, prescribe antibiotics. The prognosis is usually favorable.
Pimples on the ears
Rash on the ears - a rare occurrence. A pimple may appear on the earlobe, behind it in the auricle or even the auditory canal. This indicates the presence of problems in the body. This usually happens for the following reasons:
- With careless cleaning of the ears.
- Insufficient or excessive ear care.
- Frequent and severe stress can lead to acne on the ears and other parts of the body.
- If the earlobe is decorated with an earring, especially from ordinary metals, then allergic reactions in the form of rashes can occur.
- Endocrine diseases.
- Launched diseases, especially of the gastrointestinal tract often provoke acne on the ears and not only.
Any rashes on the ears must be treated, as they can lead to the spread of infection in the inner ear. In addition, with permanent rash on the skin scars remain.
As a rule, acne in the ear area will periodically manifest until it is possible to eliminate their cause. For topical treatment, the acne surface is first treated with alcohol. Then put special ointment with antibiotic. If the pimple is inside the ear canal, you can try the drops. When excreting pus from it, you can apply Vishnevsky ointment. If the pimple is internal and the ear hurts badly, then it is better to consult a doctor. With the wrong treatment, you can harm your health.
Otitis is an inflammatory disease of the middle ear. Most common in children. Adults get sick less often - about 20% of all cases.This disease can occur in chronic and acute forms.
Symptoms of otitis include such:
- Severe earache.
- Increased body temperature.
- General malaise.
- Noise in ears.
- Ear congestion.
- Hearing problems.
Somewhere on the third day of the disease, purulent contents begin to leave the ear cavity. The patient's condition is somewhat relieved and the pain gradually subsides. In severe cases, pus cannot come out, due to the specific density of the eardrum. Then surely it makes a hole. This disease cannot be treated on its own, as it leads to serious consequences:
- Brain abscess.
Also, the disease can turn into the chronic form, which is difficult and long-term treatment. Relapses in this case can occur throughout life.
Atheroma is a bump in the earlobe. Occurs due to blockage of the sebaceous glands. In the people it is called a wen. It looks like a ball. The disease can not manifest itself for a long time, and then the lump suddenly begins to grow, reaching substantial sizes. It has nothing to do with oncology, despite the rapid growth.Very often, such formations are opened and the contents come out. It is impossible to make a puncture on your own, as it is possible to infect the infection.
If the earlobe has become painful, there is swelling or induration, it is necessary to see a doctor. Even if he is sure that this is a normal wen, the patient must be sent to oncology to confirm the diagnosis. Ear cancer, although rare, is still present. It accounts for 1-2% of all oncological diseases. Can be affected earlobe or sink. Sometimes its inner part suffers.
For the treatment of atheroma is used:
- Surgical treatment in which a puncture or incision is made. When the wen of large sizes are stitched.
- Laser therapy is considered effective only in the initial stages of the disease.
- Treatment with radio waves is the evaporation of the contents of the wen.
- Prescribe the use of antibiotics.
If the bump in the earlobe is small and does not cause discomfort, the doctors recommend leaving it as it is.
What to do if your ear hurts
There are many reasons for the phenomenon of earache:
- Improper or too frequent cleaning of the ears.In the ear canal is a special lubricant, sulfur, which protects it from various infections. Cleaning your ears too often can lead to infections. In addition, you can accidentally injure the ear canal or eardrum, which also causes severe pain.
- If it is wrong to pierce the ears, you can get an infection.
- Wen on earlobe.
- Oncological diseases.
- Allergic reactions.
- Ear injury.
- Inflammatory process.
Independently find out the cause is very difficult. It is better to consult a specialist who will help you to make the correct diagnosis. Even the smallest pimple on the ear lobe, the sink, or the inside can cause severe pain. Sometimes the cancer initially proceeds without obvious symptoms. Most diseases, even cancer, are successfully cured in the early stages.
Diagnosis of ear diseases
To diagnose ear diseases, the following examinations are performed:
- Electronistagmography, in the presence of nystagmus.
- Magnetic resonance imaging.
- Microscopic examination.
- Various strokes to identify the causative agent of infection.
- Required complete blood count.
- If cancer is suspected, oncological markers are given blood.
Sore ears in a child
Children are more prone to ear diseases. According to statistics, more than 80% of children and only 20% of adults suffer from otitis. In kids, this system is not sufficiently formed. For any complaints from the child, it is necessary to contact the district pediatrician who will give direction to the otolaryngologist. Among the most common complaints in children are the following:
- Noise and pain in the ears.
- Excretion of fluid or pus.
- The occurrence of acne or tumors.
- The appearance of an unpleasant smell.
- General deterioration of health.
- Increased body temperature.
- Lack of appetite.
If the earlobe hurts, you need to carefully feel it, there may be a wen.
For the prevention of such diseases it is necessary:
- Refrain from using cotton swabs, it is better to wash the ears with plain water.
- Do not allow walks without a headdress in cold, damp, windy weather.
- Try to make the baby fall less.
- It is better to pierce the ears of children in a special salon, and independently control the sterility of the procedure.
How to pierce ears
Piercing is considered very fashionable lately. You can pierce your ears in the cabin or at home. For this procedure, use a needle or a special gun. At home, the earlobe is punctured with an ordinary needle, which must first be sterilized for 10 minutes in boiling water. The head should be washed, since after the procedure the wound cannot be soaked for a couple of days. In order to reduce pain, ice is applied to the ear lobe. Then process the surface with alcohol, make a puncture, pour peroxide and insert earrings. Decoration must be pre-treated with alcohol or peroxide. Earrings are better to choose from pure gold, so it does not cause allergic reactions.
If after some time after a puncture the earlobe festers and hurts, then the infection was carried. It is necessary to go to the hospital.
Identify the disease and nature of the earlobe
There is an opinion that according to the shape and color of the earlobe, it is possible to determine certain features of a person’s character and possible diseases. The most common signs:
- If the earlobe is thin and solid with a heterogeneous structure, this may indicate the presence or tendency to oncology.
- Thick, as if swollen, earlobes are talking about a tendency to obesity and low intelligence.
- Wrinkled earlobes indicate the risk of strokes and heart attacks.
- Hanging, as if not grown earlobe, speaks of good health. Often found in long-lived.
- Pointed, elongated indicates good health and hard work.
- If the ear has a nice flesh color and a neat shape, it says that the owner has a calm, hardworking character.
In order for the ears to look well-groomed and healthy, you need to follow a few rules:
- It is not recommended to clean the ears with various items. Even popular cotton buds should not be used. They can cause injury to the ear canal and the occurrence of various infections. In a healthy ear, sulfur must separate itself.
- Remove excess sulfur on the ears, preferably with plain water. It is enough just to rinse them well when taking a bath or shower.
- With excessive sulfur, it is better to visit a doctor.