CIP panels: reviews of residents, pros and cons. Construction of houses from CIP panels
When studying the history of urban planning throughout the “maturing” of humanity, it is possible to observe interesting changes in the preference of materials for the construction of buildings. Initially, these were buildings of reeds and branches covered with clay, then wooden architecture appeared, which was replaced by stone buildings, then by the 21st century people came up with a large selection of building materials that meet modern concepts of comfort and safety.
Very popular today are the houses from SIP panels that came to us from Canada.
The history of SIP panels
So people are arranged that they are constantly looking for an opportunity to surround themselves with maximum comfort at the lowest cost. Since the bulky and expensive materials were no longer satisfied with the contractors, manufacturers began to look for an alternative to them.The first were Frank Wright and Eldan Dow, who invented the sandwich panels, which were based on sheets of plywood with thermal insulation between them.
Only after Dow applied polystyrene foam as a heater, the massive construction of CIP panels began, which was most popular in Canada, hence the name of the technology for the construction of houses from this material. It was in the early 60s of the 20th century. To date, manufacturers have so improved both the panels themselves and their assembly that by purchasing a ready-made house set of CIP panels from the factory, even a beginner will be able to build his house.
As practice shows, in our time, houses on Canadian technology are being erected all over the world, and this is connected with the qualities they are endowed with:
- unique composition;
- mode of production;
- installation features;
- speed of construction of the building.
In the modern market one can find SIP panels, the price of which depends only on the place of production of materials for them. Today, no one will be surprised that the outer plates are made in one country, thermal insulation in another, and CIP panels are assembled in the third, but it is still cheaper than to transport finished products from distant Canada.
Therefore, in the European and domestic market, many companies have appeared that produce CIP panels locally using the same technology. Guest tenants (pros and cons, above all) living in such houses mean more to them than any advertising. It is the cheapness of the material and the high quality of the finished buildings that made them so popular with the population.
The composition of the panels
As a rule, houses from SIP panels serve their owners for a long time, have an attractive appearance and are distinguished by reliability. This is due to the quality of the materials from which they are made:
- At the heart of the “sandwich” is the OSP-plate, the manufacture of which is today the most advanced technology in the production of building materials. These plates are made of long and narrow chips, laid in several layers and pressed so that they lay perpendicular to each other on all sides of the sheet. This technology increases the resistance of the material to bending under loads in different planes, which is not the case with ordinary wood. As a rule, manufacturers of SIP-panels use pine or aspen wood chips for this. Unlike most similar structures, these plates are 97% wood, and only 3% is binder.Treated with a special water-repellent agent, they are resistant to moisture, mechanical damage and rotting, which makes them not only environmentally friendly raw materials, but also durable.
- A feature of polystyrene is its low thermal conductivity with a very light weight. When it is produced, gas is added to the polystyrene mass. Depending on what properties you want to give polystyrene foam, the filler can be different, for example, carbon dioxide is used for fire resistant varieties. Since the sheet of this material is only 11 cm thick and provides the same thermal insulation as the two-meter thick wall of silicate brick, it is not surprising that Canadian CIP panels received such widespread recognition. Guest tenants (pros and cons, which are only a few) are aimed at describing how warm it is in houses made of this material.
It is important to know: when checking panels, it was found that with a thickness of 22.4 cm they provide heat transfer resistance of 5.2 W / m ℃, whereas for a 40-cm-thick brick wall it is only 2 W / m м.
Considering that the construction of CIP panels is much cheaper,and the quality and visual appeal of the building itself is not inferior to similar brick houses, it is clear why many consumers opt for Canadian technology. This is just such an option when you can create maximum comfort at an affordable price.
Advantages of SIP panels
Since technologies do not stand still, but are constantly being developed, it is possible that soon, at home, with walls of CIP panels, will be encountered more often than brick or foam concrete. This is due to the advantages that they provide:
- The most important advantage in these panels is their thermal insulation. If we take as a basis for the value of resistance of the wall heat transfer, equal to 3 W / m ° C, then the thickness of CIP panels will be 16.4 cm, whereas:
- timber - 52 cm;
- foam concrete - 60 cm;
- expanded clay - 101 cm;
- bricks - 230 cm;
- concrete - 450 cm.
It is important to know: such an ability to preserve heat inside a house can significantly save energy when it is heated.
- The material provides excellent noise insulation.
- Owners of houses from CIP panels know how light this material is. For example, the average weight of 1 square meter."Sandwich", depending on its thickness, ranges from 15 to 22 kg, whereas the weight of a brick wall of the same size is about 500 kg.
- These buildings do not need a strong foundation, which greatly simplifies construction and reduces its cost even more. It is enough to establish a screw foundation that can be completed in one day, and begin to build walls.
- Installation of SIP panels can be made at any time of the year and even at sub-zero temperatures. They are not afraid of possible mechanical damage during bad weather, because they are stronger and stronger than ordinary frame houses by 3-4 times.
- A significant role is played by the speed of erection of buildings, for example, in order to build single-storey houses from CIP panels, it will take only 2 weeks, and since they do not need shrinkage, you can immediately begin finishing work.
- This material is lightweight, so the delivery of all necessary structural elements will be inexpensive. You can order a domokomplekt from CIP panels from the factory, and manufacturers often deliver at their own expense.
- Panels on Canadian technology are cheaper than other building materials.
- CIP panels are completely safe, since no harmful substances are used in their production.
If you believe the information, CIP panels (tenant reviews, advantages and disadvantages of this technology, etc.) are not yet equal in price, quality and reliability. Since manufacturers are always looking for ways to make them even cheaper without changing the technical characteristics for the worse, it is hoped that in a short time Canadian houses will take the lead in the number of new buildings.
Disadvantages of CIP panels
For more than 50 years, houses are being built around the world according to Canadian technology, so we can safely say that it has been tested by time. To find flaws in a CIP panel, you need to try very hard, because most often the complaints are caused by negligent sellers or inattentive buyers. For example:
- Everyone knows that this material is absolutely safe for human life and environmentally friendly, but not everyone knows that this applies only to the “E0” category panels. There are so-called economic CIP-panels, the price of which is much lower, but they are marked with the sign “E3” and are not suitable for the construction of houses, especially for permanent residence in them. Instead of safe expanded polystyrene, they are insulated with regular foam.From such panels it is good to collect outbuildings, for example, a shed for firewood. The problem is that this “fake”, as it is called by ignorant consumers, produces harmful substances under the influence of heat, but this does not mean that it is impossible to build out utility rooms from it, where a person’s stay is minimal.
It is important to know: if you want to build a house from SIP panels for permanent residence, you need to review their certificates not only for quality, but also for safety, and visually to study materials, as it is easy to distinguish polystyrene from expanded polystyrene. In extreme cases, you can give them for examination and by its result decide whether to buy the product or not from the manufacturer.
- If you look for the minuses of houses from SIP panels, then one of the most disturbing is the one that is a structure, if you wish, you can destroy and penetrate inside.
- In case of violations in technology, installation of SIP-panels will be made unreliably, and their integrity is easy to break. In the joints there will be cracks that will have to be further strengthened and insulated. You should act clearly according to the instructions from the manufacturers or hire a brigade of professionals.
- One of the advantages of the technology is tightness, forming the effect of a thermos. But this is also considered to be a minus of such material as CIP-panel. The disadvantages here are that if you do not conduct ventilation in the house, then soon you will be able to observe the effect of wet walls, behind which fungus and mold “come”.
- A prerequisite for installing walls from SIP panels is to protect the joints with a bar or foam in order to avoid moisture ingress into the thermal insulation.
As a rule, the technology itself has no flaws, unless the CIP panel manufacturers are cunning and for the sake of economy do not use cheap materials or the installation rules have not been violated. The rest is a great building material.
Features of the foundation for houses of CIP panels
As a rule, a house begins with a foundation, and any kind of it will work for panel houses using Canadian technology. Most commonly used:
- The basis on the screw piles is the most optimal choice, since it allows you to build a ventilated base, which is extremely important for CIP panels, which are contraindicated in high humidity. This type of foundation consists of steel pipes having a screw end. Such a foundation can serve up to a hundred years or more.Its advantage is also the possibility to expand already finished houses, adding an extension to them.
- The shallow base is also good for CIP panel. Guest tenants (we have already described the pros and cons of the technology above) are mostly supportive of a foundation that is durable and cheap. Its disadvantages are the long wait, when it will be completely ready for the construction of walls (4 weeks) and the need to carry out all communications and ventilation even during the installation of the formwork. If you need to expand the house, then with this type of foundation it will be extremely difficult and expensive.
- If the area is unstable soil, you will have to apply the foundation of reinforced concrete slabs. It is strong, reliable, has high waterproofing and high cost. It is recommended to install it when there is no other possibility. All the nuances of the building should be considered in advance, since it is impossible to add an extension to it in the future, as well as additional communications are in vain.
- Arrangement of the basement in the house of CIP panels will turn it into a more capital structure and significantly expand the area, but it will have to be fixed at the corners with helical pipes and poured with concrete to make the basement structure screwed to the ground.
It is important to know: when deciding on the foundation for a “Canadian” house, you need to rely on such factors as the composition of the soil, the weight of the structure and the type of heating and ventilation.
The assembly of CIP panels should be carried out with careful monitoring of the reliability of the connections of each part of the structure. The main nodes of the connection of buildings from sandwich panels are:
- Joining of floor panels with the base.
- The nodes of the corners of the walls.
- Joints connecting walls, ceilings and roofing.
- The nodes connecting the roof with CIP panels.
It is important to know: all installation work on the joining of the panels must be fixed with screws and fixed with foam.
Decorating the house outside
Whatever attractive shape and layout was a house of CIP panels, apparently it looks very unattractive. To ensure it is not only presentable, but also to protect it from bad weather or mechanical damage, it is necessary to carry out finishing work. For houses assembled by Canadian technology, the following types of facade work are suitable:
- Siding is the use of rectangular plates fixed above one another at a certain angle.It is an environmentally friendly, reliable, durable, fire-resistant material that even a novice can handle with a mount. A variety of textures and colors allows you to give the house the most attractive look. Plates can be fixed at any time of the year, they are light, so they do not affect the overall weight of the structure. This is the most popular way of finishing houses from CIP panels.
- The block house is an upholstery of a prefabricated house with clapboard with rounded edges, giving it a log house look. For lining use solid wood species that have undergone additional treatment with anti-corrosion agents. This material has high strength and durability, is easy to assemble, does not need additional processing, is durable and safe. The disadvantage of the block house is its price and the average resistance to mechanical damage.
- The use of decorative plaster can not only make the house look attractive, but also add sound and heat insulation to it. The palette of this material makes it possible to create the appearance of a house of red or silicate brick or to give it a Mediterranean-style building.
- Decorating the house with natural stone will give it a presentable and improve the positive qualities of CIP panels.
It is important to know: decorative plaster and natural stone are capable of imparting an incredibly attractive look to a reasonably inexpensive home made of CIP panels, but it must be borne in mind that these materials require professional skills for their installation and are expensive.
House assembled by Canadian technology, you can give elegance to the outside and comfort inside. The walls of CIP panels are an excellent material for interior decoration, which consists of the following steps:
- Decorating the walls, for which you can apply completely different materials: from tiles in the kitchen and bathroom to PVC panels, wallpaper and drywall in other rooms. The material must be selected based on the condition of the room, for example, at high humidity the use of plastic will be the best solution, and for additional wall insulation - decorative plaster or cork wallpaper.
- Finishing the ceiling does not need additional alignment, so you can immediately begin to design it. This may be suspended ceilings or plasterboard.To reduce the cost of interior work, many consumers use expanded polystyrene tile, which is both inexpensive and looks spectacular.
- Everyone chooses a floor covering according to his taste and wallet. It can be tile or linoleum, laminate, parquet or floor heating system.
It is important to know that when choosing materials for interior decorating, you need to focus not so much on their cost as on safety. Some attractive-looking materials change their properties in terms of temperature changes, what you should know before purchasing them.
Today you can find both single-storey houses from SIP panels, as well as two and three-storey mansions. This suggests that the technology, which has been popular all over the world for over 50 years, has become “rooted” in the domestic construction market.
This is due to the fact that the possibility of producing ready-made sandwich panels in the field has significantly reduced the cost of material, and now the consumer has only one task: to figure out which manufacturer can be trusted. The most popular domestic firms are:
- The company "Hotwell", won the hearts of customers not only with their discounts and promotions, but also with high-quality goods, which are made both by standards and by order.This allows the consumer to independently decide what size the CIP-panel should be for his house.
- The Bauen House factory is famous not only for the quality of its products, but also for its high price, which is not surprising, because materials from Germany are used to produce CIP panels.
- The company “Building together” also uses German components in its technologies, but its distinctive quality is work without intermediaries, which significantly reduces the cost of the panels.
This is not a complete list of domestic manufacturers that guarantee the quality of their goods, but even with the most positive feedback from customers, you should be asked to show certificates for the quality and safety of their CIP panels.
Tips from builders
Sometimes inexperienced customers become victims of dishonest manufacturers, who use deliberately poor-quality materials or glue to make the CIP-panels more expensive. This leads to the fact that, at first glance, a strong house after a winter or two begins to literally crumble. To avoid this, you need to carefully examine all documents for products, and not just ask about their availability.
If the choice fell on Chinese companies, then you need to be prepared that in their CIP panels as a heater, there is a flammable expanded polystyrene. Perhaps the house of them is not destined to go on fire, but no one knows for sure. Cheap material quickly ignites and, when burned, produces smoke harmful to the human body, whereas real expanded polystyrene is difficult to ignite, and when ignited, it quickly goes out.
Choosing a CIP panel for building a house, you need to study the company, find out how many years it has been on the market, what materials it uses and on what equipment it manufactures products.